Guilds of Magic

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The official forum for the magic based role-playing game, Guilds of Magic.

+5
Isaac225
Noir
Wolfylex
bailey33
Mask of Illusion
9 posters

If you could learn any type of magic, what would it be and why?

Mask of Illusion
    Mask of Illusion
    Developer

If you could learn any type of magic, what would it be and why? Empty If you could learn any type of magic, what would it be and why?

Post by Mask of Illusion Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:12 am

As the title says, if you could learn any type of magic what would it be and why?

Just a sneaky way for me to gather suggestions from people and to learn a bit more about each other!
    bailey33
    bailey33
    Civilian
    Civilian

If you could learn any type of magic, what would it be and why? Empty Re: If you could learn any type of magic, what would it be and why?

Post by bailey33 Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:32 pm

Well spirit magic is one of my personal favourites, however maybe a little more tacked on than the basic keys and what not? For example, a spirit mage could have a spell that would partially put their physical body in the spirit realm, making it harder to hit and cause damage to them. As for why i'd want that. Spirits. Need I say more?
    Wolfylex
    Wolfylex
    Civilian
    Civilian

If you could learn any type of magic, what would it be and why? Empty Re: If you could learn any type of magic, what would it be and why?

Post by Wolfylex Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:51 pm

I'd probably learn super speed. I like to run and the fact that I could if I got creative enough, I could use this magic for essentially cool tricks: like going invisible, hovering, make it seem like one punch knocked someone out. Either that or being able to manipulate time itself. So many mistakes made that I would love to fix.
    Noir
    Noir
    Civilian
    Civilian

Post by Noir Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:53 pm

Iconning magic that allows me to use my own icons.
    Mask of Illusion
    Mask of Illusion
    Developer

Post by Mask of Illusion Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:44 pm

Noir wrote:Iconning magic that allows me to use my own icons.

Because that worked so well for Finale/Phoenix/Whatever it's called now... Razz
    Isaac225
    Isaac225
    Civilian
    Civilian

Post by Isaac225 Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:34 pm

I'd really like for Requip magic to be implemented into the game. It gives players a reason to purchase armors, guns, swords and other weapons. Not only that, but it could allow players a way of storing items in a safer location. What's better than space/time? Not much if you ask me.

You could implement both types The knight, and the gunner. Both would be very interesting to role play.
    Mask of Illusion
    Mask of Illusion
    Developer

Post by Mask of Illusion Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:46 pm

Isaac225 wrote:I'd really like for Requip magic to be implemented into the game. It gives players a reason to purchase armors, guns, swords and other weapons. Not only that, but it could allow players a way of storing items in a safer location. What's better than space/time? Not much if you ask me.

You could implement both types The knight, and the gunner. Both would be very interesting to role play.

As we're not strictly based on the Fairy Tail lore, we have more flexibility with things like this.

There's a type of magic called Summoning, which consists of different magic types for things such as Swords, Guns, Armor, Shields and various other things which users could potentially learn.
    Noir
    Noir
    Civilian
    Civilian

Post by Noir Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:40 pm

Mask of Illusion wrote:
    Isaac225 wrote:I'd really like for Requip magic to be implemented into the game. It gives players a reason to purchase armors, guns, swords and other weapons. Not only that, but it could allow players a way of storing items in a safer location. What's better than space/time? Not much if you ask me.

As we're not strictly based on the Fairy Tail lore, we have more flexibility with things like this.

There's a type of magic called Summoning, which consists of different magic types for things such as Swords, Guns, Armor, Shields and various other things which users could potentially learn.
    That sounds interesting.
    Click me:
    renowner
    renowner
    Civilian
    Civilian

Post by renowner Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:38 pm

Time magic, definitely. Illusion magic, and maybe blood magic too. Which might hurt the user, to harm the opponent. Stun them as well, cause blood to boil, ect. Oh, and gravity magic. Which could damage people in an area, levitate yourself by lowering gravity, slow people by increasing their weight. Stuff like that.

Last edited by renowner on Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added Gravity)
    Ophid
    Ophid
    Civilian
    Civilian

Post by Ophid Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:32 am

renowner wrote:Time magic, definitely. Illusion magic, and maybe blood magic too. Which might hurt the user, to harm the opponent. Stun them as well, cause blood to boil, ect.  Oh, and gravity magic. Which could damage people in an area, levitate yourself by lowering gravity, slow people by increasing their weight. Stuff like that.
    Blood magic makes me think of Deadman Wonderland. Hahaha.
    Not a bad idea though, but I believe in regards to each magic's spells their should be balance, but also give each type of magic a specialty, eg. time magic being more stun reliant and less damage reliant in comparison to berserk-er magic, if you catch my drift. Would be a good way to keep every type of magic, no matter how unique or "OP" the type is in equilibrium, as well as give the game more unique credibility.
    Mask of Illusion
    Mask of Illusion
    Developer

Post by Mask of Illusion Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:26 am

Each type of magic has it's own pro's and con's, some inflict status effects while others do more/less damage depending on certain conditions. They also come with their own abilities and passives, so you can have a mix of different passives based on the type(s) of magic you know.
    Ophid
    Ophid
    Civilian
    Civilian

Post by Ophid Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:01 am

Mask of Illusion wrote:Each type of magic has it's own pro's and con's, some inflict status effects while others do more/less damage depending on certain conditions. They also come with their own abilities and passives, so you can have a mix of different passives based on the type(s) of magic you know.
    So is it safe to assume GoM will remain RPvP?
    Mask of Illusion
    Mask of Illusion
    Developer

Post by Mask of Illusion Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:31 am

That's the plan for the moment, but it's going to focus a lot on RP elements to drive progression too.

It's just that from personal experience having a purely RP-driven game can cause extended periods when players just log in and do... nothing because they're waiting for people.

I'd rather give players something to do and keep them entertained than waiting for their friend Bob from Africa to log in so they can talk to each other for an hour before he goes to bed.
    Ophid
    Ophid
    Civilian
    Civilian

Post by Ophid Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:35 pm

Yes I find roleplay to be a contradiction to itself in essence. I believe a stat system is necessary for structure and balance. But I know you know what you're doing. =P

Last edited by Ophid on Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:51 am; edited 1 time in total
    Mask of Illusion
    Mask of Illusion
    Developer

Post by Mask of Illusion Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:07 pm

Honestly, I don't have a clue - but people seemed to love the idea last time round. So hey, if it's not broke...
    Laucaei
    Laucaei
    Civilian
    Civilian

Post by Laucaei Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:57 am

I think simply expressing a character through passives that offer skillsets, boosts and techniques is enough to add diversity outside of generic statistics such as strength, dexterity, constitution and etc, although having enough to make each character unique outside of their personality would require quite a hefty bit of coding and planning. Its very difficult to balance both roleplay and pvp/pve without one aspect distinctly overpowering the other; grinding mobs or afk meditating for power and applying this OOC experience to roleplay situations, for example.

Regardless, I have to give props to Telepathy Magic, especially in a low-technology setting. Want to talk with someone on another continent? Sure, just let me concentrate for a bit. Hell, you could even make a bit of money off it by acting as a literal walking, mobile telephone service! Its a nice supplement to battle as well by means of knowing what your opponent will do next; analyzing the movement of "telegraphed" strikes and blows, coordinating strategies with allies without your opponent(s) noticing or by simply reading your enemies' minds (although that last one is a bit ridiculous without a lot of power, for sure).

If it were / is implemented in the game, I assume it would mechanically work akin to a typical "whisper" or even an "announce" verb for guild members and known contacts. Combat-wise, I'm guessing a boost to some sort of dodging passive or speed stat if you go down that route. 

Glad to see the game is back again though Kaliba, even more so knowing that you're taking your time with it! Looking forward to the public release!
    Mask of Illusion
    Mask of Illusion
    Developer

Post by Mask of Illusion Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:04 pm

Yeah, I think it was pretty apparant from the previous version how rushed it was. It was focused more on the nostalgia of Finale than it was on the actual content. But after realising how much of a demand there was for the game, I decided to take my time with it and do it properly this time round.

Telepathy has a lot of uses, not just for combat but also for outside of combat and could impact the way a character behaves based on the knowledge they can obtain with the power. It all depends on the user and the situation to be honest, but indeed I shall be making sure that it has an impact.

The idea of adding gathering and crafting skills is to increase activity.
    Ophid
    Ophid
    Civilian
    Civilian

Post by Ophid Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:30 am

Laucaei wrote:Glad to see the game is back again though Kaliba, even more so knowing that you're taking your time with it! Looking forward to the public release!
    +1

Gotta give credit where credit is due. Consider your hard work acknowledged. =] @Mask of Illusion
    Mask of Illusion
    Mask of Illusion
    Developer

Post by Mask of Illusion Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:37 am

I'll consider it acknowledged once the game is released and everyone is having fun!

Until then people are stuck to forum role-plays and joining in with conversations about the game.

To be honest if there's anything specific people want to see in the game, now's the time to ask because a lot of the core systems are still in development so if people want anything in particular adding it's easier to do as I'm building them up rather than going back in once they're complete.
    Griffin
    Griffin
    Civilian
    Civilian

Post by Griffin Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:54 pm

**Parfum**

Magical items, probably as dungeon rewards but also ICly craftable, such as weapons/clothes/perfums would definately be cool! 
    Especially for people who want to take a more merchant/crafting/scientist route. 
    Possibly as part of the crafting system?

Also Green magic, but separate from Earth magic.

As for what magic I'd actually want... Sensory Link Magic.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 10:31 pm